Pet diet – what your dog shouldn’t eat?

As it turns out, not every product should end up in our dog’s bowl. Let’s take a closer look at the food products you should pay special attention to before giving them to your pet.

CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE – the issue is significant theobromine content. This substance stimulates heart function. Dark chocolate contains the highest amount of theobromine (about 14 g/kg). A dose of theobromine exceeding 100 – 150 mg/kg body weight is dangerous to our health.

In dogs, even small amounts of theobromine can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, increased urinary excretion, hypersensitivity, and seizures.

ONION AND GARLIC – are not recommended in the diet of our pets. It’s all because of sodium thiosulfate toxic can be toxic for them. It causes disintegration of red blood cells, which results in anemia and hypoxia. The first symptoms of poisoning after eating onions or garlic are vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and decreased appetite.

RICE – is one of the most digestible plant products consumed by our pets. However, it’s important to remember that your pet’s diet should be varied with different types of allowed products. Giving too much rice can result in the development of obesity, so it should only be an addition to his diet.

GRAIN CEREALS – are poorly digested by pets. It’s best not to give them to your pet, or to feed them thoroughly mashed in small amounts.

LEGUMES – beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas are also hard to digest and bloat dogs. They add variety to the human diet as they are a source of protein, vitamins and minerals. In the case of dogs, the protein contained in legumes cannot be used. Therefore, it’s best to refrain from giving them this type of products.

RAW EGGS – consumption of raw eggs by both humans and animals can result in salmonella poisoning.

HOT SPICESthese spices add variety to the taste of human foods, including paprika and bell pepper. However, they should be avoided by animals because they irritate their digestive tract.

What should be done in case of poisoning by any of the above products?

One of the home remedies in case of poisoning is to induce vomiting by giving water with salt. This method is not effective, however, when more than 2 hours have passed since eating the product causing poisoning. It is therefore best to go to a veterinarian immediately.

Summary

Chocolate, cocoa, onions, garlic, legumes are just some of the products that threaten the health of our pet. Not everything that is on our table can be food for them. Therefore it is worth eliminating from their diet products which are dangerous for their health and well-being.