Liver, cholesterol and digestion

On average, we spent about 2.5 hours for meals throughout the day. Nutritious and balanced food provides the body with energy to work. A tasty and aesthetically served meal can also bring up our mood. Sometimes, however, consumed dishes do not let you forget about them for a few hours, because we suffer from indigestion afterwards.

Digestion in a nutshell

The term indigestion (dyspepsia) refers to a set of unpleasant gastrointestinal complaints. They include, among others epigastric pain or discomfort, fullness, early feeling of fullness, flatulence, nausea, heartburn and loss of appetite. Often all indigestion symptoms occur together, although this may not be the rule. It may happen that we will feel all of them, and sometimes only one of the above.

Indigestion in adults depends on individual differences in the work of the digestive tract and the general state of health. In about 40% of cases, indigestion may be a consequence of gastrointestinal tract diseases (e.g. gastroesophageal reflux disease, irritable bowel syndrome, biliary colic), in the other 60%, one specific cause cannot be indicated. According to popular opinion, indigestion is associated with a too high amount of fat in the diet. This statement is only partly true because other foods and drinks can also cause dyspeptic symptoms.

Symptoms of indigestion can be caused or aggravated by smoking. Also, being prone to anxiety do not support the proper functioning of the digestive tract also. Stomach pain can occur under the influence of stress, which makes digestion more difficult. Indigestion may also be one of the side effects of taking certain medications, e.g. aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, steroid drugs, digoxin and theophylline.

Finally, remember that the cause of indigestion may also be overeating. Excessive food causes the digestive system to be overloaded and its work becomes slower. Also, eating in a hurry, with large bites and without proper chewing, causes air to enter the stomach, which causes flatulence and belching.

Drugs or supplements that contain milk thistle extract are popular with people who complain of liver disease. Thanks to their regular use, disease symptoms become less bothersome and the condition of the liver improves significantly. The active substance they contain – silymarin – protects liver cells from harmful factors and repairs damage caused by them. Indications for the use of these preparations are, among other conditions after liver damage caused by alcohol and plant protection products and convalescence after other liver diseases.

Simple ways to avoid indigestion

The simplest and most effective way to avoid dyspeptic problems is to avoid the foods that can cause them. As a rule, people with indigestion tend to know what to eat safely and what could harm their digestion tract. You should also try to change your lifestyle in such a way that indigestion appears as rarely as possible.

If following these tips does not bring relief, or if the symptoms become more troublesome, you will need to consult a doctor who will order the appropriate tests and based on their results will diagnose the real cause of indigestion. Only then will it be possible to implement appropriate treatment or a special diet that will restore balance in the digestive system.