Sport is health, a good diet is the basis, and supplements? Supplements are diet supplements and, in part, measures that can improve our athletic performance. Supplements are everywhere and surround us on every side, but can you accept them with impunity? Are they safe? Let’s analyze it!
- What are dietary supplements at all?
- A controversial group of slimming supplements
- Ingredients of supplements … what is there really?
- How are supplements with regard to medicines perceived?
- Safety of use
What are dietary supplements at all?
In general, dietary supplements are special nutritional purposes, the aim of which is to supplement the diet with micro- or macro-nutrients. They are concentrated versions of micro- and macroelements or individual substances that show a proven physiological or nutritional effect.
Supplements are in the form of capsules, tablets, powder and liquids and gels. The use of supplements can help to improve health, condition or prevent the occurrence of diseases and diseases.
A controversial group of slimming supplements
Many supplements in stores and pharmacies are labeled “slimming supplements”. However, not all gold, what is shining – so let’s see what you need to know about slimming supplements.
We distinguish four subgroups of products supporting slimming
– fat burners (thermogenics), are products containing mainly organic compounds of natural origin, designed to increase thermogenesis and intensify lipolysis by interfering with the body’s natural processes and increasing body temperature. They are recommended while using a reduction diet and training program;
– appetite blockers (appetite suppressants) are preparations made on the basis of extracts and plant substances obtained most often from algae and fruits. Most have intumescent properties and under the influence of water fill the stomach, giving a feeling of fullness. In excess, however, they cause severe flatulence and diarrhea;
– body cleansing preparations are a group of slimming supplements based on extracts of diuretic plants (birch, nettle, etc.). They have no effect on the loss of body fat, they only remove excess water from the body. Used in excess, when we do not provide adequate supply of fluids, they can even inhibit fat burning processes;
– preparations for a flat stomach are supplements containing mainly minerals and fiber, which eliminate flatulence – which means that the stomach appears to be smaller. They have no effect on thermogenesis or local fat burning. Overuse causes even greater flatulence than was initially the case.
Ingredients of supplements … what is there really?
Slimming dietary supplements, apart from micronutrients, contain various bioactive compounds such as salts, enzymes, bioflavonoids, acids, alkaloids, etc. Some are less active in the body. One can be overdosed, causing a number of ailments such as headaches, fainting, constipation, diarrhea, shaking hands, accelerated heart rhythm, increased temperature and blood pressure, nosebleeds, dry mouth, while others are safely excreted if too much is taken single dose.
How are supplements with regard to medicines perceived?
According to European Union legislation, dietary supplements are not treated as medicines. In Poland, the Supplemental Sanitary Inspector deals with supplements along with the offices subordinate to him. Supplements, because of the descriptions and forms of occurrence, can often be confused with medicines, but according to the law, they can not have the properties of medicinal products. Drugs restore the balance disturbed by the pathogenic process, and supplements supplement the diet by pro-health and prophylactic actions.
There is also a borderline, i.e. a group of products that have the same ingredients as found in drugs or the effects attributed to drugs.
However, you can not advertise them as medicines.
Safety of use
In contrast to the drug that heals diseases, the supplement supports the balance and maintenance of correct processes taking place in the body. The task of supplements is not treatment, only help in prevention. That is why healthy people use it.